LESSON TITLE: The Prodigal Son
INSTRUCTION TO PARENTS: Read through the appropriate lesson with your child. We are praying for your families.
LESSON TITLE: The Prodigal Son
TOPICS: Family, Foolishness, Forgiveness, Love, Parables, Thankfulness
BASIC TRUTH: God is our loving Father who meets all of our needs.
MEMORY VERSE: “Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6 NKJV
BIBLE VERSE RECITAL:
*Parents: Ask your child to recite the verse several times with you. This will not only help your child to remember the verse, but also it will help to reinforce what he or she will learn.
PARENT/CHILD ACTIVITY: Read the story about the Prodigal Son right from the Bible. * Luke 15:11-24 (The Prodigal Son)
Today, you will read about Jesus’ parable and how it demonstrates the qualities of a loving father. The qualities of a loving father can apply to all men who have acted as a father figure in our lives: fathers, stepfathers, grandfathers, uncles, teachers, coaches and the list goes on. We can all have this type of loving relationship with our Heavenly Father.
- What did the father do when his younger son asked for his share of the money?(The father fairly divided his wealth between his sons.)
2. Do you think the father was sad when his younger son left home? (Yes.)
3. Do you think it makes God sad when we choose to go our own way and not follow Him?(Yes.)
4. What did the son do with the wealth his father gave him? (The son wasted the money and became poor.)
5. Do we ever waste the things God gives us? (Allow for answers.)
6. What did the father do when he saw his younger son coming home? (The father ran out to meet his son and welcomed him back with a hug and a kiss.)
7. Was the father happy that his son returned? (Yes, the father celebrated the return of his younger son.)
Children will learn the qualities of a loving father and that all of us can have this type of loving relationship with our Heavenly Father.
PARENT/CHILD ACTIVITY: *Complete the Lost and Found Activity attached to this lesson. After the activity discuss these questions: Wasn’t it exciting to be welcomed back and have everyone be so happy to see you again? I wonder if this is how the prodigal son felt when his father welcomed him back home? I wonder what it will be like when God our Heavenly Father welcomes us to Heaven?
Lesson 4: A FATHER’S LOVE
INSTRUCTION TO PARENTS: Read through the appropriate lesson with your child. We are praying for your families. Watch the video for PRESCHOOL this week.
- What did the father do when his younger son asked for his share of the estate? (He fairly and generously divided his property between his sons.)
- Did the father restrain his younger son when he wanted to leave? (No, the wise father let his son strike out on his own.)
- Did the father ever give up hope that his son might return one day? (No, the father patiently watched for his son to return.)
- What did the father do when he saw his son approaching from afar? (He compassionately ran out to meet his son and welcomed him back with a hug and a kiss.)
- How did the father treat his son upon his return? (He treated him very graciously, even though the son deserved nothing.)
- Did the father ever quit loving his sons? (No, he showed all of his children true love by loving them through their best times and their worst times.)
- How did the father treat the older son who felt that the younger son was getting special treatment? (The father was a peacemaker and lovingly explained to the older son, his reason for the celebration.)
- What characteristics do we see in the father? (Fairness,Generosity, Wisdom, Patience, Compassion, Grace, GOD’S love, and a Peacemaker.)