DISCOVERING JESUS LESSON 4: We Can Live For Jesus || ELEMENTARY
INSTRUCTION TO PARENTS: Read through the appropriate lesson with your child. We are praying for your families.
In this lesson, children will learn that apart from Jesus, we have no life, and when we are living for Jesus we can bear much fruit.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for apart from me you can do nothing.” John 15:5 NKJV
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION, Read John 15:1-12
- What happens to branches that do not bear fruit? (They are cut off.)
- What is done to the branches that do bear fruit so they will produce even more? (They are pruned.)
- What does it mean to “remain” in Jesus? (It means to believe in Him, obey Him, and seek His guidance everyday of our life.)
- How does Jesus want us to bear fruit? (To serve Him by helping others, by sharing Jesus with others, by having a good attitude, by obeying parents, etc.) How can we remain in the Love of Jesus? (By obeying Him.)
- Why did Jesus tell us about remaining in in His love? (So we will be filled with overflowing joy.)
APPLICATION (4 minutes)
We have learned today that staying connected to Jesus is very important. Jesus gives us abundant life. A branch of a fruit tree cannot grow or produce any fruit if it is not attached to the tree. The branch gets all of its nourishment from the tree. Likewise we cannot do good things, or bear good fruit if we are not part of Jesus. Our life comes from Him. Jesus said, “My flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in them. Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me.” (John 6:55-57 NIV) This week, let’s feed on Jesus by reading our Bibles, praying in His name, and by sharing with others what a wonderful, joyful life they can have when they belong to Jesus.