GOOD FRIDAY LESSON: April 10 | Preschool // Elementary
LESSON TITLE: Jesus Dies For Our Sins // The Good News of Easter
TOPICS: Easter, Cross, Crucifixion, Forgiveness, Redemption, Salvation, Sin
BASIC TRUTH: God loves us so much, He sent His only Son to save us.
MEMORY VERSE (12 MINUTES)
Memory Verse: Practice this verse with your child.
“But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ.”
SCRIPTURE READING AND DISCUSSION (15 minutes)
After Judas betrayed Jesus by kissing Him on the cheek, the chief priests, officers, and elders who were there had Jesus arrested. The next day they asked Jesus, “Are You the Son of God?” Jesus replied, “You are right in saying that I am.” Upon hearing that, they took Jesus to Pilate to be sentenced for the crimes of not paying taxes and blasphemy. Pilate questioned Jesus, but did not find any reasons for the charges and tried to set Him free. However, the people insisted all the more. They began to yell, “Crucify Him” over and over. Our story today starts at the time they led Jesus away to the place He would be hung on a cross to die. It was a Friday.
READ LUKE 23:26-49 // Matthew 27:38 The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus
- How many people followed Jesus to the place He would be crucified? (A large number)Jesus was crucified with two thieves. What did Jesus say to them and to the people responsible for putting Him on the cross? (Jesus said, “”Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.”)
- What did the two thieves say to Jesus? (One thief hurled insults at Jesus, telling Him to save Himself. The other thief ask Jesus to remember him when going into His Kingdom.)
- What did Jesus say to the second thief and what do you think it meant? (Jesus said, “Today you will be with me in paradise.”)
- What were Jesus’ last words before He died? (“Father, into Your hands I commit My spirit.”)
- If Jesus didn’t do anything wrong, why did He have to die on the cross? (He willingly sacrificed His life for you and me.)
APPLICATION (2 minutes)
All of us do things that are wrong from time to time. All of us have sinned. No matter how large or small the sin, it separates us from God, and all sin leads to death. However, as w learned today, God loves us so much, He sent His only Son to save us. Jesus did not sin; instead, He died on the cross in our place, so we could have everlasting life and be with Him in Heaven. When we choose Jesus as our Lord, and with repentance ask Him to forgive our sins, He will. This is a wonderful and exciting message of Easter. However, the message of Easter does not end here.( So the full message of Easter is not only that Jesus died on the cross to forgive our sins, but that He rose from the grave on Sunday morning and conquered death once and for all. Because Jesus rose from the grave, He can give us new life as well.) Matthew 28:1-7
PARENT/CHILD ACTIVITY: Complete The Power Of The Cross page.
As Jesus died on the cross between two criminals, He asked His Father to do something very special for all of us. What He asked is found in Luke 23:34 After completing the Cross out puzzle, answer these questions.
- What did Jesus ask His Father to do?
Forgive the people
- What was it the people didn’t realize they were doing? They didn’t realize they were crucifying the Son of God.
Closing Prayer: Dear Lord, thank You for loving me so much, that You willingly died on the cross for me, so my sins could be forgiven. Help me live a life of repentance, and to call upon Your strength when I am tempted to do something that I should not do. AMEN.
PARENTS: Send us a video of your child saying John 3:16… we want to make a special video to show the church. You can text your video to Pastor Holland at 949-533-4656 or email it to email@example.com.